Well I have to admit that I am not as young as I used to be, or maybe I can just blame it on my fibro. I think both are factors really. I took Steeven to see our gastro. doc yesterday and Carter came along too. It started out great, the nurse even had Carter do everything so Steeven could watch and this was great for both boys. Carter knows what to do by now because he has been going to this doc for a year now. The doctor came in and we talked for a while and then he layed out his plan of attack, which really meant nothing to me until the lady came to draw blood.
First I must say that a red flag was waved in front of me as the "blood lady" peeked her head in and asked me something along the lines of, "Do we need more people to help during the blood draw", ugh! Also, before that the nurse peeked in because we had been waiting so long, and explained it was taking them a little while to get everything ready for the blood draw and to send home for stool samples. Yes, I resumed my role as sole poop collector for this house, a great smell right after breakfast each morning I must say.
Okay, so I told the gal that the last time Steeven had blood drawn I held him, someone held his arm and someone took the blood. That was the plan we went with, but we were wrong! The vein they picked was along the side of his arm and we all underestimated this little man's strength. They got some, but he turned his arm and it didn't go well. So, change of plans, bring in another helper and switch arms. Keep in mind I have him facing me and holding him not so gently, but talking to him repeatedly in his ear as he cries and cries.
Now there are four of us with a 37lb. little guy and he is still winning. How? Well, even with all of us working together he manages to tense his little arm, and rightfully so, as he does this it lessens to blood flow. Again, they got some, but not enough. Side note here, don't forget that I have Carter along for this ride because I did not expect anything like this! Somewhere between Plan A and Plan B Carter asks if he can go out in the hall to play, "Of course buddy and you can take your toys if you want." He also has been telling Steeven the whole time, "It's okay buddy", how precious is that? Later he told me when he saw the blood it made him not feel well, ugh.
Plan C, finally, they gave us a little break and then we went back to just three grown ladies and one five year old. The plan this time is to take blood from the top of his hand. It worked and they got what they needed. I switched my plan as well, I braced myself with my left foot against a near by table because of all days I picked today to wear running pants, aka slippery pants! We were done, finally.
I think I forgot to mention that I was sobbing, controlably, during Plan B. When we were done we were both sweaty and exhausted. Carter came back in and the doc in the hallway had given him two bouncy balls! Steeven held on to his like crazy. He was almost alseep in my arms by the time we left. We got there at 1:45 and were driving to get an x-ray at 4:00. Yes, we still had one more thing to do!
As we were leaving I called home and left a message for Wade so he would know where we were and what we still had to do. I must have sounded awful because he didn't got to his meeting that night, thanks hon! Did I mention I had fibromyalgia? What can cause flares you ask, well stress and tensing of muslces are just two things. STRESS and TENSE MUSCLES! So as I am leaving I am feeling that entire appointment in my neck, shoudlers, arms and hands. I can only imagine what was going through Steeven's little head.
I don't even have the energy to get into details about the x-ray appointment. Let's just say we got the run around and I finally found a lady that saw how desperately exhausted I was and she took pity on us, because I cried, and we were able to hang in there and he hopped up on the table and was perfectly still for his tummy picture! Insert huge sigh here!
What happened next? We all had McDonald's in the comfort of our home and the boys both got cupcakes for dessert! Boys, you rock :)
Kristi, I remember when I took Kinsley into the doctor for bloodwork within a month of having her. It was a similar 'bonding' moment, but one that you'd like to quickly forget.
ReplyDeleteI know. I half jokingly mentioned to the nurses that for his future appointments I should call ahead to see what to expect and then I will know if Wade should take him! Thankfully Steeven still likes me, I was wondering about that as I had him in a tight bear hug.
ReplyDeleteOh Dear! I'm so sorry for that experience. Do they offer numbing lotion for the blood draws? With Becca's Thyroid, we did blood draws every 2 weeks for the first 3 months of her life, then at least one every 4 months until she turned 3. They just squirt it on the site they plan to take from, cover it for 15 minutes or so, then wipe it off when they are ready to draw. It just numbs the skin so they don't feel the prick. It doesn't of course numb inside, so they will still feel a stick if they move durring the draw, but at least on the surface, its one less thing to struggle with.
ReplyDelete